You're not weak...

I've never understood the British stigma that seeking support through a form of talking therapy is a sign of weakness and therefore, a source of shame for the individual.

I am firmly of the opinion that the very opposite is true. I only see the bravest of people walk through my therapy room door. Anyone who thinks its weak to make a decision to face oneself head on, doesn't understand what's truly involved.

To sit in a room opposite another human being and tell them things about yourself that scare you the most is, for me, one of the definitions of bravery. I am perpetually moved and awed by the courage and sheer guts of those who sit with me every week and choose to understand themselves better, in order to affect change.

So if you have some learned belief that seeking support means that "you're too weak to do it on your own", please believe me when I tell you, that it simply isn't true.

Start making time for you. It's time for you to be heard. 

Comments