Human vs Therapist

In a few short weeks, I will have gained a Masters Degree in Psychotherapy. I am comprehensively trained and have garnered much experience in the last two years or so. I have become that which I sought. I am a psychotherapist. 

I am also still a human being. I am flesh, blood, bone, muscle & sinew. I am emotional and cognitive. I have feelings, fears, opinions, thoughts and a million experiences which have formed the "who" that I am today.

Sometimes, this seemingly simple duality feels like I'm confronted with the multiplicity of my own consciousness - and it can be tricky, sticky & not very pretty. Yes, I hold a professional capacity in the therapy room and in the work with clients; I also have reactions and triggers which are distinctly human.

Sometimes, the therapeutic relationship can feel like a friendship. It absolutely is not. You may well be telling me things about yourself that you've never told another soul but we will never meet for coffee or drinks or go to see a film together. It is a professional relationship which can sometimes feel quite intimate. It is my job to know the difference and to hold space for you and your therapeutic journey in a safe, confidential space, whilst also responding to your human needs.

It's ultimately about knowing not to paint everything with the same brush and to know, and maintain, the difference. 

To find answers to more of your questions, please visit my website.

Damian George Psychotherapy - providing therapy so that history doesn't win


Damian George Psychotherapy


Comments