Sitting and Feeling

I attend weekly therapy sessions of my own. It's a prerequisite of my therapy training and it's an important one, in many ways.

Today was a difficult one; a deeply painful and revealing one; events, feelings and memories of the past consumed me, to the point of wanting to physically vomit them up, to purge them, to remove them.

A good, experienced therapist, like the one I've been lucky enough to have seen for the past few years can and will hold me safely through this process, ensuring that it doesn't become overwhelming or traumatic.

I left the session in a wobbly, vulnerable, sad and emotional state but sufficiently able to return to the real world and function for the rest of the day.

I share this, not in a search for sympathy, but as someone who knows precisely what it's like to occupy the clients chair. I know, from direct experience how tough and frightening it can be - and it's because of this, I can hold you safely while you're sitting in the client chair.

And if you're frightened of sitting in the client chair and feeling something akin to the description above, know that I understand and that I'll do everything in my power to make it as safe for you, as my therapist does for me.


It doesn't have to be a bleak, lonely seat. I'll do everything I can to ensure that it isn't.

To find answers to more of your questions, please visit my website.


Damian George Psychotherapy - providing therapy so that history doesn't win.



Comments